Scones are a favorite breakfast and afternoon tea indulgence, and these not-too-sweet ones should appeal to all pastry lovers. You can add lemon zest, minced candied ginger and a lemon glaze to Chealsea Conroy’s recipe. Or modify the ingredients to suit your taste. These scones are delicious served warm with vegan buttery spread and preserves.
See other related recipes in Vegan Variety.
Yield: 12 scones
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus baking time
Shelf life: best in 1 day
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¹/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
6 tablespoons vegan shortening
1 cup fresh blueberries
¼ cup finely chopped sulfur-free candied ginger
¾ cup almond milk
3 tablespoons Let’s Do Organic creamed coconut or coconut milk fat (use the thick cream at the top of the can)
2 teaspoons Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tablespoons warm water
¹/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Heat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Add the shortening and cut in with a pastry cutter. Add the blueberries and ginger and toss to mix.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, coconut milk fat and diluted Egg Replacer. Slowly pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir with a silicone scraper until the mixture comes together. Knead 3 or 4 times to make a dough. Don’t overmix.
4. Divide the dough in half. On a floured board, shape each half into a 6-inch round and cut each into 6 wedges. Place on the baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes until lightly colored on the edges.
5. While the scones bake, in a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice into the confectioners’ sugar until smooth. When the scones are baked, brush the tops with the lemon glaze and serve.
NUTRITIONAL DATA (per scone): Calories: 210; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 120 mg; Fat: 8 g; Dietary Fiber: 1 g
Ingredient Cost Sheet
|2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour||$.06-1.00|
|¹/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar||$.13-.22|
|2 tablespoons turbinado sugar||$.12-.25|
|1 tablespoon baking powder||$.02-.03|
|zest of 1 lemon||$.48-.80|
|6 tablespoons vegan shortening||$.55-.92|
|1 cup fresh blueberries||$1.35-2.25|
|¼ cup finely chopped sulfur-free candied ginger||$1.15-1.91|
|¾ cup almond milk||$.11-.19|
|3 tablespoons Let’s Do Organic creamed coconut or coconut milk fat||$.31-.51|
|2 teaspoons Egg Replacer||$.16-.27|
|¹/3 cup confectioners’ sugar||$.05-.09|
|1 tablespoon lemon juice||$.12-.20|
Joanna Pruess is a regular contributor to Specialty Food Magazine.